Simon Bisley - Batman

2015.04.12 East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ

Simon Bisley has cited his influences to be Frank Frazetta, Gustav Klimt, Salvador Dali, William Turner and Richard Corben. His distinctive style is predominantly rendered using acrylics on bristol board, Bisley does not use airbrushes, although his style gives that effect...

Bisley, a British comic book artist is best known for his 1990's work on ABC Warriors, Lobo and Slaine. Much of his work is also influenced by rock album covers as traditional comic book art. While a student Bisley did a painting of a robot holding a baby that a friend passed to Pat Mills, and inspired him to relaunch the ABC Warriors strip with Bisley as artist in 1987...

When I approached Bisley, he was hunched over a painting of Harley Quinn. I inquired about a sketch and then explained my project. Bisley took a few glances up at me and then asked "Are you nuts?!"  I replied yes and we agreed on a Batman piece.  From what I could see Bisley was working strictly with washes, shades of black, little else...

At times I do not get to watch the art come to life, this time I had the opportunity as Bisley quickly grabbed a brush and starting bringing Batman to life. No pencil sketch to figure out the plan, just quick defined brush strokes, which grew stronger and deeper in black. He mumbled "like painting my own money" and continued on...

He hit the postmark, which he originally intended to go around. Continued to complete the line and declared the postmark was the moon behind Batman's shoulder. Brilliant !!!

Comments